These lemon bars are super easy to make and require only 8 ingredients to get the job done!
This is not your typical lemon bar but the end result is a sweet, tart and super moist dessert! You will be left with a bar that has a crispy crust yet buttery soft and lemony inside!
Ready in 1 hour 15 mins
Makes 36 Bars (cut 6×6)
- 2 sticks butter (softened)
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. pure lemon extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 tbsp. flour
- 2 lemons juiced (you need about 8 tbsp. of juice)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, cream together the butter, flour, lemon extract and powdered sugar.
- After about 2 minutes on medium speed the batter should be light and fluffy, that means it is ready.
- Evenly distribute the batter in the bottom of an ungreased 9 by 13 inch pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, beat the eggs with a whisk and then whisk in the flour, lemon juice, salt and granulated sugar.
- Once the crust is done, pour on the lemon filling and bake an additional 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
- When the bars are done baking, use a sifter or fine strainer to dust the top with a bit of powdered sugar.
- Let the bars cool to room temperature for easier cutting before you enjoy.
It is totally normal to have some air bubbles, creating a bit of a white layer at the top of your bars when they are done baking. Those will be covered with the powdered sugar dusting.
If you prefer a more tart bar, add more lemon juice! If you prefer a less tart bar you can add as little as 5 tablespoons of lemon juice.
You can use this recipe to make any citrus bar or even a mixed citrus bar! Just swap the extract and juice to any citrus or citruses you might enjoy 🙂