I love a good Shepherd’s Pie and this one tastes just as good as the original but with a slightly healthier twist!
Ready in 1 hour 15 mins
Serves 6-8 people
Meat Filling Ingredients:
- 2 pounds ground turkey breast
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cans of tomato soup
- 2 cans of corn drained
- 1 cup frozen sweet peas
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ¼ cup ketchup (more if you like)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
Cauliflower Mash Topping Ingredients:
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese (divided)
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp garlic salt
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Get the steamer going for cauliflower with two garlic cloves (or prepare however you prefer for mashing – roast, instant pot, etc.)
- Melt butter in a large high sided saute pan over medium heat. Add onion and saute until translucent then add garlic.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add ground turkey and season with onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Break up the turkey mixture while it cooks.
- Once the turkey is cooked through, turn the heat down to simmer and add tomato soup, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste and ketchup. Let simmer while you put together the cauliflower mash.
- Add steamed cauliflower with garlic to a bowl and mash using a potato masher. Once mashed, stir in the butter, sour cream, ½ cup cheddar cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper until mixed together.
- Pour meat mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 13×9 baking dish. Add two cans of corn and spread evenly over the top of the meat and then sprinkle peas over the corn mixture.
- Spoon the mashed potatoes on top and carefully spread into an even layer covering all the veggies.
- Sprinkle the top of the cauliflower with garlic salt and a little more pepper. Then sprinkle remaining cheddar cheese over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 35 mins, until golden and bubbly.
- Let stand at least 10 minutes before serving (longer if you can stand it!)
This recipe is so versatile, you can swap for any ground meat you like and swap or add any veggies you wish.